Tuesday, February 25, 2014

February 25th, 2014

       Ever the critic of Virginia basketball, it is nice to see Tony Bennett coach. When he left Washington State after the 2009 season headed to Virginia, I was upset knowing that the ACC gained a good coach while the Pac 10 was losing one. Look at Washington State since Tony left. As we look at the Cavaliers schedule this year, they are currently 23-5 overall 14-1 atop the ACC conference. In looking at their non-conference wins, beating SMU, Davidson and maybe Hampton get your attention. They lost to VCU and Green Bay by 3 points apiece. The Cavs lost to Wisconsin by 10 at home 48-38 to which the score reminded me more of a WAC football game. But what has perhaps propelled Virginia's success was their blowout loss at Tennessee 87-52. I remember watching that game Dec. 30th feeling really bad for Coach Bennett. Yes, he had taken Virginia to the postseason the past two years but after this loss I wondered what was in store for Virginia. How would they be able to handle the ACC? I think their win at Pitt on Feb. 2nd also cemented more confidence. The Cavs won 14 of 15 and I would have never guessed their turnaround. 
         Interesting to watch the Mercer/FGCU game Friday. Having personally watched FGCU at SC Upstate the saturday prior, this game was huge for the Eagles. Mercer came into Ft. Myers leading the Atlantic Sun Conference holding a one game edge over FGCU. FGCU wound up beating the Bears(soundly I will add) but I have to question the methods of Mercer head coach Bob Hoffman. From start to finish Bob Hoffman was upset at the officials. Unreal. Look at the tape. Hand on hips. Constant complaining. Head shaking. Yelling. Constant disagreement. The officials were the reason you lost the game Bob, just ask Jim Boeheim. I guess the whole dressing in all black didn't help.
       A split on the dreadful Montana swing, I'll take for Weber State. Still leading the Big Sky at 12-4 with four games remaining in conference play.
       This got my attention. After Wichita State pounded Drake saturday night 83-54, Drake head coach Ray Giacoletti said, "If you're a skeptic about Wichita State, then that's on you." Coach Giac was an assistant with Gonzaga last year, when the Shockers beat them. "And they're much better this year." Who knows how good the Wheat Shockers really are so I could care less where they are ranked in the polls or where they will be seeded. They are 29-0 though.
       Huge win for Boise State in overtime over UNLV in what I thought was most exciting game I've seen this year.  I know the Mountain West has not produced many wins come the NCAA tournament but three teams at least will get in, if not four. 
       

No comments:

Post a Comment